Picking The Right Boxing Glove - Part 1
Selecting a boxing glove can be an intimidating venture for someone that is new to the sport. There are several factors that make a good boxing glove. Here is a list of things to consider when selecting a new pair of boxing gloves.
- Comfort: A good boxing glove should fit comfortably and snugly around your hand, without any tight spots or areas that pinch or rub. It should also include features that add to the glove’s breathability, such as moisture wicking liners and/or ventilation technology, to keep your hands cool and dry.
- Protection: The main function of a boxing glove is to protect your hands, wrists, and shoulders from impact during training, as well as protect your partner during sparring or competition. A good glove should have adequate padding, especially around the knuckles, to absorb shock and reduce the risk of injury.
- Durability: Boxing gloves take a lot of abuse, so a good glove should be made of high-quality materials that can withstand repeated use and abuse. Look for gloves that are made from durable materials like leather, synthetic leather, or high-density
- Fit: A good boxing glove should fit your hand perfectly, without any excess space or looseness. This ensures that the glove provides maximum protection and stability during training and competition. Also consider the closure system that best fits your needs and situation. Closure options include lace, hook & loop, wrap around, cinch down and many more.
- Weight: Boxing gloves come in different weights, ranging from 8 ounces to 20 ounces or more. The weight of the glove you choose depends on your personal preferences, your skill level, and the type of training or competition you will be doing. A good glove should be of the appropriate weight for your needs.
- Brand reputation: Look for gloves from reputable brands that are known for making high-quality, durable boxing equipment. We are partial to Throwdown Boxing Gloves. Reputable brands have invested in research and development to create gloves that offer a combination of comfort, protection, and performance. The Throwdown team has decades of experience developing quality boxing gear. We not only make the gear, but we also train with it ourselves.
In summary, a good boxing glove should be comfortable, protective, durable, and well-fitting. The weight of the glove should be appropriate for your needs, and you should look for gloves from reputable brands that are known for making high-quality, durable boxing equipment. By choosing a good boxing glove, you can protect your hands, wrists and shoulders and improve your performance during training and competition.